Nooros on the up in Egypt

17 May 2016, Week 19, Issue 639

Only 10 months after its discovery, production at Egypt’s Nooros field has reached approximately 65,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day with an end-of-year target of 140,000 boepd. Separate statements issued by the joint venture partners, Eni and BP, confirmed that output from Nooros would play a role in helping to reduce Egypt’s dependency on imported gas, which in turn would improve the country’s energy security and provide low cost fuel for its continuing development.

Increasing output by 75,000 boepd of gas and condensate by the end of 2016 is dependent upon drilling additional wells and improving existing production facilities at the Abu Madi West concession in the Nile Delta, the statements said. Current production comes in the form of 10 million cubic metres per day of gas and 5,000 bpd of condensate, driven by the Nidoco North 1X exploration well and the Nidoco North West 4 development well.

BP’s May 12 statement said fast-track expansion at Nooros was expected to continue by bringing development wells online, such as Nidoco North-West 5, which was spudded on May 7. BP added that the Nidoco W-2 exploration well is expected to spud later this month, with a stated aim of testing a western segment of the field.

In addition, an analogous but separate reservoir north of Noroos will be tested at Barakish, with the BSW-1 well being spudded in April, BP said.

“Our plan is to maximise production through continued debottlenecking of the production facilities,” BP’s North Africa president, Hesham Mekawi, said.

In its May 11 statement, Eni said it planned to continue exploration activities in areas of the licence that had been identified as having the best potential, building on its “near-field exploration strategy”, using existing infrastructure to aid development.

 

Eni has a 75% interest in the concession, through its subsidiary IEOC, with BP holding the remaining 25%. The operator is Petrobel, a joint venture between IEOC and state-owned Egyptian General Petroleum Corp. (EGPC).

Edited by

Anna Kachkova

Editor

Any questions? Please get in touch