PTTEP finds additional gas at Zawtika

13 March 2019, Week 10, Issue 666

Thailand’s state-run PTT Exploration and Production (PTTEP) has found additional natural gas reserves at the Zawtika project, which lies offshore Myanmar in the Gulf of Martaban.

The Zawtika-24 well uncovered 152 metres of net gas sands, after seismic research indicated the reservoir would span 41 metres, the general manager of local unit PTTEP International, Asset Piya Sukhumpanumet, said last week.

“This discovery increases our confidence about the hydrocarbon potential of undrilled areas in the Zawtika project,” he said.

The 12,306-square km Zawtika development covers the M9 block as well as a small northeastern section of the M11 block and includes the Zawtika, Kakonna and Gawthaka fields. PTTEP International operates the project with an 80% stake, while state-run Myanmar Oil and Gas Enterprise (MOGE) holds the remaining 20%.

Gas was first found in the M-9 block in 2007 with commercial production beginning to 2014. Zawtika produces 9.77 mcm per day, Piya said in February, with most of that piped to Thailand.

PTTEP said in February that Zawtika was among a number of operations that it intended to invest US$1.9 billion in this year in a bid to boost production and reserves.

The firm has five other projects in Myanmar – the M3 gas block, which is in development, and the MOGE-3, MD7, MD8 and M11 blocks, which are all in the early exploration stage.

PTTEP has said it will bid for some of the 31 on- and offshore blocks the Myanmar Ministry of Energy intends to auction later this year.

In other news, the Thai developer has also reported a new gas discovery in its Cash-Maple field in the AC/P54 block in the Timor Sea off northwest Australia. The field is still at the development stage. The Orchid-1 well was drilled to a depth of 2,925 metres and hit a net gas and condensate pay with a thickness of 34 metres, PTTEP said in a statement to the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET).

Edited by

Andrew Kemp

Editor

Any questions? Please get in touch