Subscribe to download Archive

Origin of recent Central Asian blackout pinpointed

Four Central Asian states experienced a blackout on August 14. It highlighted shortcomings in the regional power distribution system.
Four Central Asian states experienced a blackout on August 14. It highlighted shortcomings in the regional power distribution system.

Kyrgyzstan has provided some clarity on the source of the recent blackout that impacted four states in Central Asia, while vigorously denying blame for the cascading outage. 

Power outages were first reported in the Kyrgyz capital of Bishkek during the afternoon of August 14 before spreading to southern Kazakhstan and portions of Uzbekistan and Tajikistan. Kazakhstan’s Energy Ministry initially attributed the disruption, which lasted several hours, to a “sudden change in the power flow” of the regional grid. 

Confusion over the blackout’s source prevailed during subsequent hours and days. Kazakh and Kyrgyz officials proffered competing versions of events, each seeming to point the finger at the other.

Finally, on August 17, the Kyrgyz Energy Ministry published a statement copping to being the cause of what it termed a “technological disruption.” The origin of the trouble was a failure at the Toktogul hydropower plant.

“During the process of clarifying the circumstances of the technological disruption, a short-term shutdown of two generators at the Toktogul Hydroelectric Power Station was recorded, which became the initial disturbance in the parallel operations of the Unified Energy System of Central Asia and led to a change in power flows and the activation of emergency control systems,” according to the statement.

The Kyrgyz Energy Ministry went on to dispute the notion that the problem at the Toktogul facility triggered a cascade of outages, insisting that “this initial disturbance should not be equated with the direct cause of the shutdown of individual power systems and power nodes in other countries.”

Safeguard procedures taken immediately by Kyrgyz authorities to isolate and regulate power transmission flows, thus containing the disruption caused by the Toktogul hiccup, were sufficient to maintain the stability of the regional grid, Kyrgyz officials claim. The blackout that hit southern Kazakhstan, including Almaty, occurred after “the frequency” of the regional grid had been restored to “nominal values,” according to the statement.

Additional analysis is needed to determine the causes of the outages in Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, the Kyrgyz statement contended, adding that a “special commission” will investigate.

Regional analysts see the incident as highlighting shortcomings in the regional power distribution system at a time when governments, especially Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, are pursuing economic growth strategies that are energy-intensive. That, along with warming caused by climate change, is generating record demand for electricity, thus straining infrastructure. 

Regional states have plans to add capacity and become self-sufficient in terms of power supply. At the same time, international financial institutions are providing assistance. The World Bank, for example, launched a 10-year programme in early 2026, dubbed REMIT, to “establish Central Asia’s first-ever regional electricity market, increase electricity trade, expand transmission capacity and lay the groundwork for large-scale renewable energy integration.”

An Uzbek Energy Ministry statement said officials were able to limit the disruption in Uzbekistan caused by the August 14 incident thanks to the government’s recent investments in adding power storage capacity.

“Energy storage systems provided the opportunity to provide energy to the grid in a very short time when needed,” the statement said. “Energy-sector investments in recent years once again demonstrated their practical importance in ensuring system stability.”

This article first appeared on Eurasianet here.